Friday, September 5, 2008

Downswinging/Goals

Lame...I'm quickly approaching a 10k downswing. While I've had worse overall downswings in the past, this one is especially brutal for the sheer # of hands it's taken for this to occur. 20 buyin downswings are to be expected though, especially in a variance happy game like PLO. Have I been playing perfectly? Definitely not. I've made plenty of mistakes. Today I recognized quite a few in my first session in PLO in a bit, (places where I should have bet the turn/etc). I will continue to keep a clear head though. As I've said in the past (and still hold), I haven't been running fantastic the past few months. I don't play a ton of hands either though so this sense of time is perhaps a bit more stretched than most other players (who average 30-60k hands a month).

I did my first vid for DC the other day, it was a 1/2NL deep one on FTP. I got owned in a few spots and was 3-bet frequently by a regular (who also happened to suck out on me with K5dd on ATxdd board vs. my AK in a 4-bet pot 200bbs deep :(). Meh. He did employ a nice heavy 3-betting strategy in position though which was tough to play against. I know I've been saying it for a few weeks now but I do eventually want to get back into NLHE full time. I think that tomorrow I plan on playing a decent amount 1) not only to get my money back but 2) also get back into the game. Once my video gets reviewed I can finally start my project with terp and get our series on the road.

Our flag football team is looking fairly sharp. We played some randoms in the rec the other day and beat them with touch/50 to 25 boundaries. Unlike last year I think we'll be employing alot of quick slants and shorter throws (with a higher completion rate). Last year we did a heavy running attack with some players that perhaps weren't in the right fit. This year we have some pretty athletic people that should make for a good season (season lasts for 4 games? I think?).

Some goals I have for this month pokerwise is 25 hours. I don't expect to play a whole lot on weekends due to CFB/friends/etc. Though I think I can get more than one hour a day. This hourly should change though if I'm running good or bad or what have you. (Or if I get extra motivation to play). I do want to get back into NLHE though and I plan on playing that more so this month. All I want is a solid winning month. I'm willing to take anything at this point. Even a paltry 5k would do wonders for my confidence. I haven't had any crushing months in a while and maybe I am just a breakeven player, who knows. I also hate the way poker makes me when I'm downswinging. Poker is a pretty emotional game and sometimes I let it seep into my real life, when I'm yelling or just pissed off in general. Can't really help it I guess.

School is going meh. The Tuesdays/Thurs that I do really have school are pretty brutal. I'm majorly slacking though and need to start getting more dedicated. Still need to apply for the teachers college, etc. I'm probably just going to end up taking the full 5 years for all I know. Meh, whatever. I expect college is going to be better than the real world anyways so yeah.

College football this weekend looks to be pretty fun. I'm really just anticipating UM/UF on saturday night on ESPN (8PM EST). The Huskers play during the day and the game should be a blowout. The UF game is a pretty interesting one and I don't buy the 21 point line for a second. UM is a pretty talented team (perhaps one of the most talented) with a huge OL and two good RBs. I can definitely see a Auburn 2007 II happening again if UF doesn't take UM seriously. UF is on a 6 game losing streak to UM and that just pisses me right off. There really aren't a ton of great CFB games though this week. As for any interesting Out of conference (OOC) games, there aren't many. UF/UM is semi interesting. PSU/OSU (oregon state) is semi interesting (though OSU lost to LOL stanford). Seeing Vandy upset S. Carolina tonight was pretty amusing. Vandy looked pretty impressive in their inital opener against Miami OH and competitive tonight as well. Their D is pretty real and UF has struggled with them the past few years. Could be devastating if we lost though.

Looking now, BYU/Washington looks appealing, WVU/ECU and thats about it...third week in though expects to be one of the best saturdays this season with the armaggedon match of USC/tOSU (I think beanie is sitting out this saturday to rest) as well as many other in and out conference games.

No comments: