Monday, March 2, 2009

climbing/summer plans/etc

I think I've gotten most of my summer plans taken care of, still have some things to smooth over.

I get out of school on May 9thish. I have a month or so before I do anything/go anywhere and am still mulling over if and where I should go.

June 9-18th I think I'll be in Seattle with family. I might have a night or two though to meet up with anyone there.

June 26th- July 10th I think I'll be at the WSOP during the main event. I'm hoping to get staked for this thing, or maybe just put up half and sell the other half of myself. I dunno, I guess I'll decide when it gets closer. Probably going to be in a house with a few friends so that should be fun.

July 16th-August 16th- I'm fairly sure I'm going to go to Thailand during this time. Still deciding on actual plans (how long to stay in either Phuket/Bangkok, etc), but the general consensus between a friend and I are where we will be staying. Still have another friend or two semi interested in this so that should be fun.

As stated I'm still on the fence on what to do for the first month. Most of my friends will probably be getting real jobs soon and going into the real world (fuck that lol). I guess I have a few months to decide.

I've been climbing alot recently. I did a 5.9 yesterday after some trouble (but eventually made it to the top after falling a few times). I feel that I'm getting alot stronger (especially in forearms/fingers/wrists/shoulders). I still plan on hitting up a school-sponsored trip to Kansas for a day for bouldering sometime in April.

I've also decided that I'm going to learn scuba diving and try and get certified. I've called around and looked at some local places. The process takes about 2 weeks or so, sounds sort've like a bitch. But I think it's going to be well worth it, especially when I head down to Thailand. The class I called in about cost about $400, I'm debating doing it later in May in Omaha where it'll both probably be cheaper and when I have more time.

I guess I've never been SUPER extreme outdoorsman for the latter part of my life. In my years in Gainesville, I was out all day every day (and I'm sure it's the same way for everyone else when they were younger). Though since High school onwards I've been pretty much an indoors person, not really doing a whole lot of camping/hiking/etc. Perhaps it could be because Omaha/Nebraska doesn't have many great outdoors stuff (large bodies of water, mountains, etc) but meh. I do want to get back into doing some other outdoors stuff though, like I did in the past.

Anyways, hope everyone has some cool summer plans coming up. I'm still not 100% sure on my spring break trip to South Padre as logistics problems have arisen. If that falls through I'll probably be going to Tahoe to visit with carrotfish/terp/starkwired/Snipe and a few others. Might go visit my cousins in Alameda as well, we'll see.

No comments: