Saturday, July 5, 2008

First Post

I don't expect this to be a widely viewed blog. I created it solely for musings, ramblings, and other thoughts on various aspects of my life. A primary subject discussed will be poker as it is a large part of my life. Sports, current events, books, movies, etc will all be touched on at some point or time throughout this blog.


To give some background for those who do not know me as well, I am a incoming senior at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I am studying secondary education with social studies and plan on teaching high school. I have played poker the past three years on the internet and it is my primary source of income. While poker has been very good to me, I feel that finishing school and getting my degree would be infinitely superior to dropping out and pursuing a career in professional gambling. At some point in my life I would like to drop everything and travel the world, playing poker as my source of income. But that time will have to wait.


Summer 2008 was a busy one. I toured Europe for 3 weeks, traveling through Barcelona, Paris, Milan, Florence, Venice, and Rome. I wrote trip reports here:






It was an incredible experience and I urge everybody to attempt to do this at least once in their life.


Following this trip shortly after was a month in Vegas. I am in a house with 5 other poker players known only from the interwebs (cue rapist jokes/chris hansen jokes here). The internet society is one that cannot be described to those unfamiliar with it. I can meet and talk people who I have never met in real life with relative ease, equipped with the knowledge of only a screen name and an avatar. I can trade thousands of dollars to strangers and feel fairly comfortable with it. My house consisted of a variety of different types of poker players, some playing tourneys and others playing various forms of cash (PLO/NLHE/etc). We are all here for the World Series of Poker (WSOP) and also to have a good time.


Vegas is a strange city. While I enjoy many elements (the shows/restaurants/atmosphere) it also brings a level of degeneracy unseen previously. And degeneracy is not only labeled in a monetary sense but also addictions in drugs, alcohol, etc. My personality is not one to go out, do a line of coke on a hooker, then take X and party the next 12 hours. But to each his own I suppose. I am ready to go home and settle down.


While in Vegas, I feel I enjoyed much of the atmosphere it presented. We ate at N9NE at the Palms, Delmoniccos, Social House, and Nobu (2 steak houses and 2 sushi joints) that are top end restaurants ($100+ per person, sometimes up to $300). We saw Blueman group and two Cirque de Soleil shows as well, all of them a ton of fun (Mystere was my favorite). Had I had another oppurtunity to redo this Vegas trip, I would have liked to go to a few more shows and perhaps another restaurant or two. Playing more live poker would have been enjoyable as well. Oh well, next year I suppose.


Here is a picture of me playing the $2500 6-max event, which I epically failed.


In the future I will be writing poker articles and thoughts I had at the time. Good luck

No comments: