Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Poker blows

Ugh...another losing day. This stretch has been super frustrating for me as a player. Some friends of mine have been through 100k hand breakeven stretches (DoubleEagle says 200k or something ridiculous like that). They are all solid winners at the game as well which is scary. There haven't been alot of things going my way lately. I've been playing solid enough its just I keep running into the top of everybody's ranges.

I hope that I'm not experiencing one of those super long stretches. I feel it can happen at any limit, no matter how huge you crush the game. I beat 1/2 for 10ptbb/100+ for 120k+ hands. But the last 2-3 months have been among the most frustrating of my life. I've been dabbling in the 2/4NL games on FTP and while they are pretty good I've been recieving the ass end of variance. And I tell myself I should be used to the swings- I've lost 7k in a night before playing 5/10NL. But sadly this is just not the case, and losing 3k or so still pisses me off bad.

PLO has been going okay. I lost a few buyins today but still up a decent amount overall (playing 1/2PLO). I'm making large mistakes but am fortunate enough that my opponents don't have a fucking clue as to play this game (limp calling 4442 is not a winning strategy). I've started coaching as well from Parlay Slow (who also coached me previously in NLHE) and I'm looking foward to learning this game. I find that I can play PLO for hours on end much unlike NLHE (where I'm hard pressed to grind more than 1k hands in a session). The game is just much more intricate and thinking about all the different situations is fun (though difficult). I plan on getting more into PLO though this month and have decided I'm going to take a slight break from NLHE even if it means costing some $ from my hourly (though this month my hourly is LOL).

I've been doing some volunteer work the past few days at my church. I'm a group leader for preschoolers at a water event, super fun stuff. Working with kids is truly rewarding for me and perhaps confirms my decision to become a teacher in the future. Waking up early sucks though. As for my other goals, I've been learning a few easier dishes in the kitchen and hope to learn a few more before summers end. I've been running a ton as well, doing 3 miles at a time (probably averaging maybe 12-15 miles a week) and am pleased with that. Other than poker not going well, life is good. (Though I need to read more as well).

be good

No comments: