Saturday, July 5, 2008

Goals

I know I just wrote my first post but the goal of it was to present a background of myself as well as updates of my past summer.

I have multiple goals for the remainder of the summer and I hope to keep myself accountable for them by posting updates/etc here. I have about a month and a half before school starts.

As I return home within the next day (July 6th):

Poker goals:

This past month has been difficult for me. NL cash was disastrous- 20k hands for $1k profit. (not including rb/bonuses/etc). While I learned a great deal (in terms of PLO/tourneys/some cash), the results simply were not there. Throughout the month of June I was playing poorly, a direct effect of running bad. I cannot dwell on the hands that I cannot control however (be it coolers or suckouts or otherwise) but only my own play. I feel that my own study has been lacking the past few months and I have gotten lazy in terms of my development as a player. While I did win $12k in a tourney and $3k in PLO, I still feel that last month was a faliure.

In July, I have yet to play a hand of NLHE in vegas. There are multiple factors for this, but the main one being an inconsistent internet. Despite paying a high price for this house, the most essential amenity was not there. Overall, the lack of a decent internet cost this house a fortune. I hope to play 20,000 hands of NLHE (I should be able to do this despite not playing for the first week). I should aim for a higher goal but 20k sounds decent enough. I also want to make some money playing tournaments. I am aiming to play on sundays primarily (the mil/FTP 750k as well as the smaller ones) as well as learn PLO a bit more this month (laugh it up roommates but I WILL be good one day).

I will not set a monetary goal. I do want to finally make the final move to 2/4NL on FTP though as well as regrind my AP roll up. The 1/2 games on AP are incredibly soft though not nearly as much as they used to be. This is a linear observation I belive throughout all of online poker- the games ARE getting tougher. That's not to say that there isn't soft games on all sites but the level of competition has risen considerably.

So, a list of poker goals for July and some of August (I shall reevaluate later) here:
-20,000 hands
-2/4NL FTP beat it for more than 3ptbb/100
-Watch more videos, specifically PLO ones and HU perhaps.
-regrind AP roll to 10k+
-coach more
-play some SNGS and microstakes NL, in preparation of coaching two real life friends who want to learn poker. This will be a daunting task since I have not played these stakes seriously in years.

Alright, that finishes poker goals. There are many others I hope to accomplish as well.

-Get back in shape. I lost 7 lbs in Europe due to walking and a healthier diet. I was well on the right track as well nearing the end of the school year in May with a healthier diet/increased exercise. All that work has since been diminished in Vegas, as I have been lacking in both exercise as well as discipline when it comes to diet. Greasy foods without breakfast/vegetables/fruits has been common here in Vegas and the lack of exercise has sucked as well. I have ran consistently I suppose but even that is not enough. My goal when I go back home is to eat breakfast every day (probably cereal, fruit and a fruit juice) as well as multiple small meals throughout the day. I also want to run/jog/bike/lift at least 4-6 times a week. Having no job or responsibilities should make this very easy. I probably weigh somewhere around 185 right now and I would like to get back down to 175ish.

- Read more. I read a decent amount now, probably far more than the average person. I have been lacking of late though and have only read one book the past month. I'd like to be reading a book continually from here on out. Part of this is due to poor book selections the past two (both have been slow and relatively boring). I am excited though for the books I have slated coming up-

The Devil in the White City
Catch 22
Collapse

Many others as well. Used book stores are awesome.

-I would like to learn how to cook. I have a great love for food and various cuisines. I think learning how to cook would be highly beneficial in the future when I'm either living alone or what not. Helping mom in the kitchen or perhaps taking a basic class I think would be great. I am relatively helpless in the kitchen as is and that is something that needs to be improved.

- Volunteer work doing tutoring. I think this would be great for both my major as well as just in general. Teaching and helping others is something that I quite enjoy and I hope to actually do it instead of saying I'll do it. with no job (and no desire to get one this summer), I think that I should have enough time to commit to this.

Thats all I have for now. I have not really been a goal oriented person in the past but hope that will change. Probably a part of growing up. We'll see.

No comments: