Monday, July 7, 2008

UFC 86/Home

I went to UFC 86 at Mandalay Bay on the 5th of July. It was a fun time and it was great to finally see many of the fighters I've seen on t.v. or the internet. I have been a mild MMA fan the past 3 years or so (watching PRIDE on FSN and other highlights was what first grasped my interest). The main headliner was Jackson/Griffin. Some pictures from the event:



























In any event, most of the fights were exciting and cool. A few were lame (ie. just attempt to take down and no standup whatso ever) but that's to be expected in these events. I went with two roommates (Clayton and Nick) and met up with Joe and John (42it/Grunch). We all thought that Rampage won but apparently were mistakened when the very pro-crowd Griffin emerged victorious. I thought that Griffin was probably the better fighter- he was much more versatile when it came to his ability to kick and grapple with Jackson. It was a close match nonetheless and very fun. I've never really loved Jackson much- the LHW division is super stacked and I think there are plenty of other deserving candidates. The Quentin Jackson/Forrest Griffin fight is here: http://www.myvideofight.com/video/ufc/ufc-86-quinton-jackson-vs-forrest-griffin/index-2.html

My favorite MMA video is here-

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/shogun/video/x2pnks_rampage-vs-shogun-mpower_extreme

(Where Shogun Rua destroys Quentin Jackson).

Looking foward to the upcoming events. Anderson Silva moving up to LHW div. should be very interesting. He has dominated Middleweight thoroughly and it will be cool to see him compete with a very stacked division.

Finally have arrived home. It has been a long journey (nearly a month in Europe and 5 weeks in Vegas) and having a base is something I have been longing for. Getting back into a daily routine (hopefully those goals will kick in) will be nice and add some sense of structure to my life. Waking up at 5pm is not the answer.

No comments: