Thursday, August 7, 2008

summer slipping away...CFB

This summer has been going by fast and school is starting in a few weeks. My schedule is pretty favorable as I don't have class on Monday/Fridays and only one on Wednesdays. Tue/Thurs are brutal though as I go nearly all day with few breaks. Still though, the appeal of 4 day weekends is pretty nice.

Also setting up our new APT, I decided to pay $30 extra for the bedroom with a bathroom. It's not larger in size but the extra bathroom along with a walk out patio from there is nice. As I said previously I'm pretty pleased with our APTs as we have a pool and a large field nearby to play football in. We also set up cable and this year I'll finally be able to enjoy DVR and save some UF games. Eventually I want to hook up a DVD burner to save games but we'll see if I can get that going.

As college football season comes closer I am growing more excited by the day. We are also preparing for flag football. Last year we were pretty shitty, went like 3-3. We had some heavy OL and tackling problems. I think that this year should be alot better as we are going to do some practices and think of a different offensive plan (we ran the option last year lawl). I also saw that ESPN and USA Today released their top 25 picks for CFB.

UGA is leading which is meh. I think that they are a pretty solid team overall. They answered the call last season with a totally new OL and all of them are more experienced. Further their RBs (K Moreano and C. King) are both pretty solid. Stafford has had two average seasons (not sure why everyone is creaming themselves over him). He's a good QB but I think there are plenty of other better CFB (key word: CFB, not necessarily NFL ready) out there (Daniel, Harrell, Tebow, Bradford, etc etc). UGA also doesn't really have a great WR corps either though so maybe that could be a problem. Still, with an experienced D they should be more than a match for most all of Div-I-A.

I'm still not completely sold on USCw/tOSU. Everyone is really excited over USC but they have lost a significant amount of starters. They have a new QB and a fleet of WRs that really haven't truly proved themselves. Their D is quite good though and Pete Carroll is probably the best coach in college right now. I think that if Sanchez can pick up on the offense and their OL can come together (primarily their offense being able to gel) I think they can be very good. But I'm not sure if this will happen by the third week when tOSU comes into town.

tOSU returns 19 starters and are seemingly on the path to another BCS NC game. Their biggest question is Toddd Bockeman, who frankly isn't very good. He's solid enough but when he gets harrassed (as LSU did last year), he loses all composure. There IS credit to LSU, as their DL was outstanding last season but the decision making of tOSU's QB was was poor. All other elements of tOSU are pretty solid though, with a massive experienced OL, very strong secondary (and excellent LBs) as well as a very capable RB. So i really can't wait until tOSU walks into the coliseium.

Anyways, enough ranting on CFB. I think there are a ton of teams that can make a run at the NC game this year, WVU/OU/UF/UGA/USC/tOSU/sleepers like Clemson/TTU have a shot as well. Though I'm not completely sold on Clem due to a very inexperienced OL.

Poker has been fair lately. I propped my friend for 40 hours this month. I know it's not a ton but meh. I'm going to be pretty busy in the latter parts with moving in to my new APT as well as preparing for school. I've still been doing coaching sessions with Parlay Slow which has been going well. I think that coaching is so +EV (and I'm not just saying that because I'm a coach). Adding 1ptbb/100+ to your win rate (especially if you are a high volume player) equates to alot of chedda. I have yet to play a hand of NLHE this month though and am waiting for terp to sweat me. Also thinking about ideas for a video series so that should be fun.

No comments: