Sunday, August 31, 2008

CFBBBBBBBBBB

All day today...Saturdays are awesome. No other day of the week can compare in the fall. Any other CFB fanatics can agree as well. This season kicked off today, UF cleaned Hawaii out. I was fairly pleased with alot of the game but there is still significant room to improve. Some things I had gripes with:

-Penalties. UF showed its youth in the DL. True they were overly aggressive but the sheer number of penalties committed were frustrating to say the least. It's like it's 2006 all over again where we were among the most penalized team in the nation.

-OL didn't impress me as much. They had a few nice plays in terms of setting up nice runs for our RBs but they were touted to be among the best in the nation. Pass D can improve.

-Backup QBs were LOL. enough said. I don't even want to talk about them.

As I said though, I was pretty pleased. The corners and safeties played well, forcing some pick-6s and fumbles. Tebow played pretty well, I don't expect him to win the heisman as projected. He made up a very high percentage of our offense last year (perhaps due to a lack of RB). This year I hope that we are able to spread the ball around more (and namely run more). Though with the new clock rules I think offenses (alot of power running teams) will be able to control the game even moreso than before. We should be better for Miami with Percy and Spikes back. I was pretty pleased with Lawrence Marsh, our DT as well. Finally getting some pressure up front, a far cry from last year.

Nebraska won as well. Sucked because we didn't get any seats, we came too late because we were piles. Game was fun overall. NE has a pretty solid offense, running game was meh. Defense was meh at times. DL especially sucked. They have alot of work to do.

Some upsets this week. It's to be expected I suppose. VT loses to ECU, Clemson got hammered by Bama, Texas A&M loses (LOL) to some shit team. Mizzou held as did many other top 20 teams this week. Some significant headlines were Beanie wells perhaps hurt, which sucks for the tOSU/USC game (want it to be as huge as possible), UGA's starting DE got a torn ACL. Sucks ass for UWashington getting stomped by Oregon too, UW is a team I quite enjoy watching (partly because of Jake Locker as well as my gramps/parents both being UW alumni). Locker's OL got smashed from what I saw so bah.

Anyways, probably going home tomorrow for labor day, no school on monday so I'll get to catch UCLA/Tenn and do some scouting for 3 weeks from now. No poker recently either, the break has been pretty nice.

I also went to the bars tonight with a friend. An interesting event happened as well (posted in SSNL life thread too)-

okay so i met a friend at the bars tonight. she was in a group of her friends, one of which was a crazy meth addict looking guy who she met from another one of her friends. ANYWAYS

so we're talking...talking about football/whatever.

him: "yeah...i just won $280 this weekend. I bet on sports."
"oh really? that's pretty cool man. nice score."
"yeah man. A few weeks ago I loaded $300 onto pokerstars"

(cue orange's eyes lighting up, mouth cringing to a smirk trying to contain laughter)

"oh yeah? thats cool. are you up money?"

(enter him looking at me with a queer grin, super cocky and arrogant. It's like he has a super secret that he wants to let out but has noone to share it with).

"well...I'll tell you this...I bought my beamer with it." (holds up 8 fingers).

"you've made 8 grand man? wow"

"oh yeah...i ran that $300 up to 5k within a week. I play no-limit. I played $5 dollar/ $10 dollar, $1000 up front. It's such a rush"

"wow thats alot of money."

"yeah man. you don't know what its like to win a $2500 pot. (insert me saying i've won a 7k pot. in reality i held my tongue and kept smiling).

He continues to ramble, saying you can't play poker professionally because of the swings. "you could win $1000 in one hour and then lose $3000 within the next hour. I can't do it" He also bragged about him getting 200th in the sunday million for $1600, a nice $300 hourly or something. I kept nodding.

then I continued my sick game and asked if poker was all luck. he looks at me sheepishly and shakes his head frantically.

"hell no man. how do you think i ran my money up? S-K-I-L-L. you have to know what the **** you're doing. or its all just luck"

"ah okay. i always thought otherwise"

we hang out for a bit longer, we all depart shortly after, I never say a word about me playing poker. I laugh alot. I'm a sick human.

------------
maybe i sound arrogant but meh. I found it funny maybe noone else does. be good.

No comments: