Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Triumphant Return to NLHE

I loaded up 6 tables of 1/2NL deep on FTP. I haven't played a serious session of NLHE for almost two months now. I ran pretty damn hot to say the least. I didn't play my best, which can be expected. I do admit that I am slightly rusty as well. There were a few folds that I probably could rethink, a few shoves that I think could be rethought as well. The last few sessions (very short) of NL I've played have been unsuccessful. I've spewed alot and made many marginal plays. My foray into PLO though has allowed me to make a few more different plays than I might've otherwise.

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: $381.15
UTG: $418.55
MP: $334.60
Hero (CO): $400
BTN: $721.30
SB: $386.45

Pre-Flop: A K dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG raises to $7, MP folds, Hero calls $7, BTN calls $7, SB folds, BB calls $5

Flop: ($29) Q K A (4 Players)
BB checks, UTG bets $15, Hero calls $15, BTN folds, BB calls $15

Turn: ($74) 5 (3 Players)
BB checks, UTG bets $40, Hero calls $40, BB folds

River: ($154) 2 (2 Players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $115, UTG calls $115

Results: $384 Pot ($3 Rake)
UTG mucked Q K (two pair, Kings and Queens) and LOST (-$177 NET)
Hero showed A K (two pair, Aces and Kings) and WON $381 (+$204 NET)

Sure I could have justified playing it different on all streets. But I'm pretty pleased with the way I played it. One of the concepts I've learned in PLO is that there truly is alot of money to be made by letting people hang themselves. I've said this many times before but in PLO many of the TAG's raising/c/r-ing ranges are very heavily weighted towards nut hands or draws. I feel the same can be said in SSNL, where ranges are truly unbalanced.

Today's session was pretty swell. Poker really is about how hot or cold you are running. You can play optimally and still run dirt cold and the results will show. I went from -3 buyins to +3 within about 20 minutes. I 2-outtered a donk's JTs with KK on JJxxK board in a rr-ed pot then won with AQ vs. AK in a strange AI PF scenario (UTG opens, MP calls, I call, aggro BB squeezes, MP (donk) flats, I jam and he jams, I run a flush). There were a few hands that I didn't run so hot either, when a donk shoved the turn with 68dd on 543ccd board and got it in on Kd turn (he had decent equity I suppose) and got there on the river. Whatever.

I feel pretty good though about my NLHE game. It's going to take a few sessions to get back into it but overall, I felt like I played solidly enough. I used my button well, 3-bet decently in position and made an interesting play (perhaps a leveling war) early on-

(This was early on in the session but I already had the indication he was a good player/TAGgy).

Full Tilt Poker $1/$2 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN/SB: $200.00
Hero (BB): $406.00

Pre Flop: ($3.00) Hero is BB with Q A
BTN/SB raises to $6, Hero raises to $21, BTN/SB calls $15

Flop: ($42.00) 5 2 7 (2 players)
Hero bets $27, BTN/SB calls $27

Turn: ($96.00) 9 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN/SB checks

River: ($96.00) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets $77, BTN/SB folds

okay so PF is pretty standard I should think. Flop the same. You can make an argument to c/f-ing against alot of opponents but early on in the match I wanted to be aggressive. If it's a bit closer I definitely err on the side of betting. After he checks the turn its pretty clear he has a pot control type hand, I would imagine 66/88 stuff like that. He knows that I know this which would (typically) make a pretty poor bluffing spot on the river after he did check the turn. I think that checking the turn with alot of my range is fine here as well, (as well as betting I suppose). So meh.

Also found out that the cable company fucked up so I won't get internet for like a week. I don't know what I'm going to do without it. I guess just sit around on my ass and exericse/read more. School stars monday though. I am scheduled for 15 credit hours, taking a variety of classes. Two teaching classes, a 'history of latin civs' (maybe it'll be funny to read about how those south american countries got buttraped), an upper level psych class (ugh), and 'history of 20th century china', which should be a bore. I'm heavily debating dropping that class. I'm also taking a personal defense class which meets once a week which should be fun. Looking forward to working out more and getting in better shape while at school.

No comments: