Friday, August 29, 2008

Updates

First week of classes went through. I don't have any class on W or F which rocks. Tuesdays and Thursdays are long though. I'm pretty pleased with the majority of my classes, though some are a real bore. Latin civs has a joke of a professor. He goes on random tangents about unrelated topics and churned through 4 different civilizations and 1000 years of history within about 40 minutes. Already a nice sign of things to come. Modern China is going to be semi-interesting but boring as well I think. Social Psych will be okay, there aren't any tests in there only papers and discussions, which is whatever. The teacher seems cool enough as well. Multi-ethnic education is pretty cool. It also has the most diverse crowd I've seen in college. I must admit I am racist to a degree (though I think only jokingly?). I'm going to have the oppurtunity to tutor another kid though in this class which I'm looking forward to. Finally I have a multimedia class which looks pretty cool, required class for teachers and a self-defense class as well. As for the difficulty of these classes, I think that China and Multi-ethnic will be the hardest. Time will tell.

Poker hasn't been going so hot lately. The variance in PLO is catching up and I'm no longer running like I was earlier this month (pretty well). I'm down about 11 or so buyins the past two days in little play. I also will not meet my monthly hourly goal which is disappointing. This month has been pretty disappointing, at least in the way I've closed it out. I feel as if my poker growth is stagnant, or I need something else. PLO was the game for me, it drove my interest and I loved playing it. But even now I can't really convince myself to play hours on end like some of my friends. I've never been good at grinding. The most I've played in a month is 35k hands and some tourneys. I've always been content with winning moderately, not gigantic by any means (especially given the volume of hands I put in). I just enjoy doing other stuff so much more. I'm also content that I did not decide to take a semester off or school off last year, as I don't know if I have the motivation or discipline to do this thing full time. I do want to travel after I'm done though. This month I probably won't make much, then again I doubt if I've played a ton more than 10,000 hands either. So whatever. I eventually want to get back into NLHE but alot of the ideas/concepts seem very cut and dry to me (at least at the limits I do play). Not saying that I'm a world crusher by any means, its just very 'fold, raise, fold, raise, etc). So, this month, very disappointing in the way I finished and hope I play better next month.

I plan on making a video within the week for DC. terp is on vacation so our project will be started when he gets back. Looking forward to it though, I don't think there's been much content on said subject(s) in the realm of ssnl, at least in video series.

Anyways, college football season kicked off last night, I'm so pumped. UF/Hawaii airs 12:30 EST on ESPN gameplan for those that have it, or yahoovideo. Not that anyone even likes UF just thought I'd throw it out there. Nebraska plays later that night and I'm happy that the NE games don't conflict with UF ones. I think this week of CFB presents some pretty interesting matchups. Utah/Mich will be fun. Utah is a competitive team that has been consistently solid over the past few years. Michigan is reeling from personnel losses and a system change, and it will be interesting to see how UM's players fit into Rich Rod's program. Alabama/Clemson should be cool too. We'll see if Clemson's line can come together quick against bama. I think this will show if Clemson is a contender or pretender as well. Bama isn't great by any means but they moderately average/above average in the SEC and should be gathering its recruiting classes (highly ranked) together within the next few years.

I want to see UCLA/UTenn on monday night. First and foremost I want to see how good UTenn really is. If they find a QB, UF could be in for a long night. UCLA isn't great either but like Bama, they are a competitive team from a BCS conference. Mizzou/Illinois should be cool too. It'll be fun to see two spread offenses against each other. I think Mizzou will win fairly confidently but if Juice has improved in his passing it should be interesting.

CFB WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No comments: